Temple Pic.

Temple Pic.
Tegucigalpa, Honduras Temple

Monday, March 24, 2014

My first week in Honduras and I love it!


Hola Famalia!

AH! Today could not have come any faster, but I have so much to tell you! First off my entire travel experience to Honduras was just fine. All of my bags got here just fine and I even got to talk to mom and dad while I was in the airport which was such a blessing for me. Well where to even begin!! When I arrived in the airport in Tegucigalpa President Fortuna and his wife were there to greet us and then took us to get some dinner. They are so kind and I can already tell that one day when I can understand what they are saying to me I will love them even more! In my interview I think President could tell that I was pretty nervous so in English, for my sake, he promised me that I would be able to start understanding the language very soon, BUT he said that I must have muchas patience with myself and speak to everyone in as much Espanol as I can. If that's all it's going to take, then I'm all in!

Also, when I got here I got to meet both of the Hermanas that I had been told to watch out for. Hermana Larsen and Hermana Wagner. They are both so sweet and kind and I got pictures with both of them!

It is so green and beautiful here, but also so so hot and humid. I constantly feel like I've got a nice layer of sweat covering my whole self and I feel that way, because I probably do! The third day of me being here in Honduras we had Cambios (or exchanges) and I got my companion! Her name is Hermana Casiano and she looks very Latina, but is actually from Mesa, AZ. Her parents are both from Mexico so she learned Spanish before she came here. She has been so wonderfulo to me and helps with my Spanish all the time. Luckily for me she is so patient with me and answers all of my greenie missionary questions. She is AMAZING!

Me y Hrma. Caiano are opening a new area in Marcala. We had to take a 4 hour bus ride from the main city to get to our area. It is way up in the mountains! It is definitely a very humble area. Our casa is actually quite a bit bigger than I thought it was going to be, but it was absolutely filthy when we got here. Today we are planning on sweeping and cleaning and making it possible for us to move our stuff out of our suitcases, but it's definitely going to need a lot of work.

So yesterday me and hmna Casiano trekked for over an hour up the side of this mountain through all these trees and even through a barbed wire fence to make it to an appointment we had made a day or two earlier. It took us over an hour to get up there, but it was so worth it! WE got there and the dad was gone, but we got to teach his wife and 2 of his sons. It was an incredible lesson!! And I can't wait to go back on Wednesday to teach them more. Here it is customary for everyone to greet and say goodbye with a handshake (or hug) and then a cheek to cheek kiss. So as we were saying goodbye to this familia the mom gave us a hug and kiss and before I could do anything about it so did the son! AHH!! It was so against the missionary rules!! But, there was nothing I could do about it! Hrma Casiano told me that sometimes people take you by surprise like that, but she promised me that since it wasn't intentional that I would be just fine, ha ha!

Well a little more about my casa! It doesn't have any running water, but we have a big cement water pila right outside our front door. So every time we need to wash our hands or flush the toilet or shower we get to haul in a nice big bucket of cold water. But, usually for our showers we get to heat up one pot of water to add to our bucket so it's not quite so cold. I love it here so much and I'm so excited to find more people that the Lord has prepared for us here in Marcala! I love you all so much and keep you in my prayers every night!

Much Love,

Hermana Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment